Test and trace - Be aware of scams!!!
NHS Test & Trace is an important way of controlling the virus and getting people out and about again. Find out how to tell a genuine NHS call from a scammer.
If the NHS test and trace service contacts you, the service will use text messages, email or phone.
All texts or emails will ask you to sign into the NHS test and trace contact-tracing website.
If NHS test and trace calls you by phone, the service will be using a single phone number: 0300 013 5000.
All information you provide to the NHS test and trace service is held in strict confidence and will only be kept and used in line with the Data Protection Act 2018.
Contact tracers will:
- call you from 0300 013 5000;
- send you text messages from ‘NHS’;
- ask you to sign into the NHS test and trace contact-tracing website;
- ask for your full name and date of birth to confirm your identity, and postcode to offer support while self-isolating;
- ask about the coronavirus symptoms you have been experiencing;
- ask you to provide the name, telephone number and/or email address of anyone you have had close contact within the 2 days prior to your symptoms starting;
- ask if anyone you have been in contact with is under 18 or lives outside of England.
Contact tracers will never:
- ask you to dial a premium rate number to speak to us (for example, those starting 09 or 087);
- ask you to make any form of payment or purchase a product or any kind;
- ask for any details about your bank account;
- ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts;
- ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone;
- disclose any of your personal or medical information to your contacts;
- provide medical advice on the treatment of any potential coronavirus symptoms;
- ask you to download any software to your PC or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet to anyone else;
- ask you to access any website that does not belong to the government or NHS.
For more information about NHS Test and Trace and the questions they ask, go to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works.